Monday, September 14, 2009

It’s not like the Papparizzi are following me

The opening party was, of course, opening night and as so happened I was booked for a business trip to Seattle. Okay, this can be remedied. I called our corporate travel agent and $150 later was booked on an earlier flight so I could be home in time to slide into the party “casually late.” Or, what would have been more appropriately termed, “arrogantly tardy, thinking everyone should be paying attention to me and only me in the last hour of the party”. But really, it was just the earliest flight I could get back and not totally ditch my new boss and leave him asking why they’d paid for my August trip.

The flight landed and I had one goal: get to my show. It’s opening night. It’s all-the-all-the. This is my first art show. And hey, it’s all about me.

As the day progressed, all my friends who’d planned to join me for opening night had life stuff come up, Murphy interfered, and they couldn’t come. I cannot tell you how thankful I am that I was channeling my calm and sweet spirit. I keep her in a box at my bedside next to my little box of crazy. I’m a girl. We all have both. So, friends had wacky stuff come up, couldn’t come, and while I was thinking I was being all sorts of narcissistic with “my first art show”, with each call I felt more for them than I was bummed that they wouldn’t be at my show.

So after a $150 flight change fee, friends cancelling, and narrowly escaping Seattle, the taxi dropped me at the corner of Shotwell and 14th. Nice neighborhood. I walked up to the gallery, turned the doorknob and opened the door to “my first art show”.

And there were three people in the room. Three. Only Three. Hum. Not exactly my vision of my first art show.

My lamp was prominently placed and did catch my eye as soon as I entered the space. I was also caught up in my lamp when I realized two of the three people there were bent over closely examining my lamp.

Gallery Owner (GA): “I’m sorry. We’re closed.”

Leigh: “I thought the party went until 8…”

GA: “No, the Artist’s Reception is NEXT week. Would you like a flyer?”

L: “No thank you. We met on Tuesday. I’m one of the artists. When is the party?”

GA: “Which one is yours?”

L: “It’s the lamp they were bent over when I came in.”

GA: “Oh! The Lamp! We LOVE the lamp.”

My indoor voice: “What was I thinking when I put this in my calendar????” “Uh, Feeling goofy…really glad no one tripped over themselves while dying of the flu to make the show.” PSHEW

So, it’s THIS Thursday. Really. Thurs 9/17 @ 5pm….we’re meeting at 50 Shotwell (between 14th & 15) to see the Altered Barbie Show. Really. It’s the place to be. And then, we’re going out for margaritas and tasty yummy stuff. Join us. You know where to find us :)

No comments:

Post a Comment