Thursday, December 31, 2009

Stretch goals

I recently decided to do my first Triathlon as a stetch goal, to improve my health, and to raise awareness about HIV/AIDS.  Today I squeezed in one last workout for 2009.  In the past two months, I've worked with a personal trainer, a physical therapist and an old school Chinese acupuncturist.   My hip (which sustained some pretty serious damage in my double-marathon month in July 2007) is much stronger and I was 25 minutes into my run today before remembering that I had an injury.  And then the thought passed and I kept running.


So, the triathlon.  I'm doing the AVIA Wildflower Triathlon on 5/2 and am really excited.  Last night I booked three nights at a spa near the race so I could luxuriate after the race.  I'm definitely going to need a massage and a soak.


How far am I going to go?  I have both race and fundraising goals.


For my race goal, I am registered for the Olympic Distance Triathlon.



Olympic Distance Course
  


Wow.  I have to swim a mile.  And in a lake.  The bicycling has a lot of hills too.  I'm a little worried about those but at least I live in a city with hills to train in.  


So, what have I done to get started?  In the past 8 weeks, here's what I remembered to log...I'm missing a few workouts (both figuratively and literally).



Bike
Run
Swim
Sports
Strength
61.79 Mi - 5h 57m 04s 
19.56 Mi - 5h 03m 13s 
6020.00 Yd - 4h 26m 33s 
3h 00m
4h 57m
Pace: 10.38 Mi/hr
Pace: 14m 29s Mi
Pace: 04m 28s /100 Yd 



Being the data geek I am, you can only imagine how much fun I'm having tracking my training progress.


My second goal is to raise at least $3K and awareness about HIV/AIDS.  

  • > 20% of people infected with HIV/AIDS don't know it
  • > 160K people in California are currently living with HIV/AIDS.  
  • In the US, African-Americans are disproportionately infected, being 12% of the population and 49% of diagnoses.
  • Unfortunately, there's more to tell and the news isn't good.  Stay tuned.  We need your help.  



I'm really excited about the great people I'm going to meet at >1 and plan to break the $20K mark in my fundraising for the San Francisco AIDS Foundation.


As I close out the year I am thankful for the many wonderful friends and experiences.  Wishing you all the best of life.  Happy New Year! 


/L 

No comments:

Post a Comment